Monday 2 May 2011

Just what the sewing world needs – yet another sewing blog! Why do I feel compelled to share my inadequacies with the world and her dog? I suppose it's a kind of "vanity" project, insofar as I think it might possibly be of the slightest interest to anyone. But mainly, it's because I have come to the realisation that while I consider myself to be a fairly competent sewer, I have become rather complacent and unadventurous. I go for instant gratification: the TNT that only needs a little tweaking to be different form the last incarnation. What brought this home to me vividly is the fact that I am helping two girls in their twenties to sew. I am having to examine my own sewing habits and skills and well, to be honest, I am not stretching myself nearly enough. I am an avid reader of other sewing blogs and there are people whose skills are not necessarily better than mine, but they are much more adventurous in style choice and manipulation; there are others out there whose technical skill is breath-taking. I want to be both of these people. I know it will be hard work and I may never get there, but this blog is my attempt, my commitment to myself. I can't promise warts and all – well a girl has some pride, but give me a glass or two of red wine, and the indiscretions will flow!
So (or is that "sew" – feeble pun!) watch this space for tales of a wedding dress in the making (not mine!), the Gambian holiday wardrobe (big yawn), perhaps even some gossip from the recent PR European Getogether, … oh yes, and most likely, plenty of gratuitous photographs of my cats who absolutely adore my comfy sewing stash!

5 comments:

  1. Some gossip from our gettogether? Please tell (but not my secrets)!!!
    Kidding, welcome to the blogging world.It's nice to see someone I know starting blogging. Hope to see lots of beautiful clothes from you. Blogging and reading blogs certainly made me more adventurous in sewing. It might be the same for you. Good luck and hope you will have a lot of readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see/read more you are more brave than i am good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to meet you at Kantjeboord in Amsterdam. I'm looking forward to reading more on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelia
    I know exactly how you feel. You are not alone. I will join your blog. Don't feel bad about the one follower. I have none and I've been doing it for a while now. We just have to keep going. When I look at the other blogs it gives me a mental boost. Sometimes I feel intimidated, and other times not...........either way I am still looking, reading, or doing some sewing. It's all that matters. The love of this art.
    sewforreal-mamafiore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete