Sunday 2 December 2012

Blowin' in the wind
Proof that fabric really does grow on trees!
Surely this is a typical holiday snap, no?
Not a great photo I know, but these are some of the fabrics I brought home with me from The Gambia.
Some will be turned into wearables, but I plan to make a range of craft items from much of it.
In my mind I have reams of ideas,but in practice productivity is disappointingly low.
Now that the work situation appears to be calming down (how long can one person do the equivalent of 3 full-time jobs without melting down!!!), perhaps my evenings will see a flurry of activity in the sewing room, at long last.
Why craft items? I would like to raise money for a couple of projects that I help support in The Gambia. Combining forces with my sister who introduced me to The Gambia and who already has a foothold in the Craft fair circuit in Scotland, I aim to make a small range of perfectly-formed products which will indubitably fly off the stands as soon as they are displayed.More later (if, in fact, I ever get started).

Apologies and thanks to Rhonda
Maybe the thanks first: one of the first commentators on my infant blog was Rhonda. She even featured me in her Wednesday Showcase . There are several of her free patterns on my sewing list including this one.

How could anyone call
this fabric ugly?
Shame on her!
Sis

 
From the great sewing weekend in Broadstairs, which has been blogged by Sigrid, Pauline, Marta, and most likely everyone else who was there, but me, I "obtained" a certain piece of "ugly" fabric (actually I came home with about 5 pieces of "ugly" fabric, but so far everyone has been too kind to remind me how I got my piggy little hands on it all).The piece wasn't really wide enough but I managed to get a decent enough rendition.As I had forgotten to take anything suitable to wear under it with me on holiday, I gave it to my sister.
It was too long and although looked great on her it didn't flow quite as well as it should.Never mind,she has the technology to shorten it.
Helen tried it on and being taller, it was  even nicer on her.
The back view is nice too, but on seeing the pix, perhaps I should have used the fabric the other way up??

View from the back
Not too shabby,eh???
-  Now for the apology

 Perhaps this is one of those "you had to have been there" moments! The construction of this wrap allows the neck opening to be 18" down from the shoulder seams. Sis put it on with the shoulder seam running over the top of her arms from left to right and continuing over her head. She was completely shrouded. The rest of us convulsed in hysterics! It wasn't really that funny, not too much red wine had (yet) been partaken, even her husband claimed it was an improvement.
Sometimes it does you good to be silly!

But sorry Rhonda, I promise I was not mocking your pattern.

This cover up is so pretty, simple and quick to make, I see many more in my future (and not just in "ugly" fabric).


Time for a little creativity
My holiday fabrics are washed and ironed. Once I have finished reorganising my sewing room (yes, Linda, again, and not for the last time!), I am going in and getting started on all the wonderful ideas that are crammed into my imagination.
I may be gone some time! Wish me luck!



4 comments:

  1. Ooohhh, a fabric tree! And I would plant a money tree right next to it, so I could buy more fabric trees!!!!
    Can't wait to see what you whip up with this fabric ...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea - I may well plant that money tree too!
      I am also eagerly waiting to see what I whip up with the fabric. Actually that's not true, I've been fanaticaly sewing for my trip to NZ and have actually used some of thse fabrics, as well as dipping into my (extensive)stash. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. You are very funny and this post brought a smile on my face, I'm sure it will also Rhonda with humor. Now that I found your blog, I'll poke a bit here ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your very kind comment - poke to your heart's content!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete